This is hands down my favourite way to eat tempeh; thinly sliced, marinated and shallow fried. For this recipe I went for a marinade of Chinese five-spice, soy sauce and vegan Worcester sauce, giving the tempeh loads of amazing flavour with barely any effort at all! To make this a super-simple, quick and easy meal, I’ve teamed it with some roasted courgette slices and a base of rice and black beans. This bowl is delicious paired with my cheesy cauliflower sauce but would be fantastic with my giner-lime sauce as well!
This nutritious meal has a double-whammy of protein from the tempeh (soy beans) and black beans. To make it even healthier you could add extra veggies such as broccoli or spinach. The sliced tempeh and roasted courgette would also be delicious on a sandwich (I’m very into roasted vegetable sandwiches right now).
Enjoy the recipe and check back on Tuesday for a heavenly twist on risotto that will have you running to the kitchen in no time!
Marinated Tempeh Bowl
For the tempeh: 400g tempeh, thinly sliced diagonally
65ml soy sauce
40ml Chinese rice vinegar
1 tbsp vegan Worcester sauce
½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
Olive oil spray, to fry
3-4 courgettes, sliced diagonally
Salt and black pepper
Olive oil spray
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
Cheesy cauliflower sauce or ginger-lime sauce, to serve
- Place the marinade ingredients in a large shallow dish. Place the tempeh slices in the dish, coating each individual slice in the marinade. Marinate for at least thirty minutes, turning over halfway through.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7/200o Place the courgette slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and black pepper and spray with olive oil. If making the cauliflower sauce, you can roast ½ small head cauliflower along with the courgettes. Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, turn over and spray with more olive oil, then roast for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the rice and black beans in a medium saucepan with 1 litre of water. Cover and bring to the boil. As soon as it starts to boil, reduce to the lowest heat and allow to simmer until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave undisturbed, covered, for at least ten minutes. Fluff up with a fork before serving.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil. When hot, add the tempeh slices in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned and heated through. Cook in several batched if necessary.
- To serve, divide the rice and black beans between serving bowls and top with slices of courgette and tempeh. Top with your chosen sauce.