We’ve been super busy this week with wedding planning and decorating! Our wedding will be next September and will have a ‘50s theme reflected in the music, outfits, décor and food. We’re hoping to hold the ceremony at a local heritage railway which we think will look fantastic in the photos (plus I’m a sucker for a ride on a steam train)! I don’t want to give too much away as some of the guests-to-be may be reading this!
On top of planning the wedding (exciting!) we’ve also been decorating the living room (not so exciting). We moved into our home this February and the house had barely been touched for at least 30 years! We stripped the wallpaper off the living room walls before we moved in, but have started wallpapering only this week. Yep, we had bare walls for seven whole months! It’s a relief to finally have those walls covered up. For our chimney breast wall, we chose a beautiful wallpaper depicting Buddha which reads “There is no path to happiness – happiness is the path”.
Today’s recipe is a Mexican-inspired delight! Refried black beans are spread on top of toasted tortilla wraps, then topped with delicious spice-roasted potatoes and mouth-watering garlic-chilli mushrooms. The best thing about this recipe is that despite having several components it will be ready in well under an hour included prep time, yet it really is a meal to impress! This recipe serves two, simply double or even triple the recipe to serve more!
Refried Black Bean Toastadas with Garlic-Chilli Mushrooms
For the potatoes: 500g potatoes, cut into small cubes
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp paprika
Olive oil spray
For the mushrooms: 330g mushrooms
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp liquid aminos
For the refried beans: 1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely grated
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp liquid aminos
Juice ½ lemon
4 tortilla wraps
Olive oil spray
2 ripe avocados, sliced
Ginger-lime sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7. Spray a large baking tray with olive oil and arrange the potato chunks in a single layer. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle on the paprika and turmeric. Toss the potatoes to coat. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Flip the potato chunks over and reduce the oven temperature to gas mark 4. Return the potatoes to the oven for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the potatoes in the oven to keep warm until serving.
- Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms. Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil. When hot, add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute before adding the mushrooms. Cook until softened, 5-10 minutes. Add the liquid aminos and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Next, make the refried beans: Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil. When hot, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add the black beans, spices and 30ml water. Mix well and heat through for about 4-5 minutes. Add a little more water if it looks dry. Add the lemon juice and liquid aminos, mix well and turn off the heat. Cover to keep warm.
- To toast the tortillas, place a large frying pan over a medium heat and spray with olive oil. When hot, add a tortilla wrap and spray the wrap with oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned, turn over and cook on the other side. Wrap the tortilla in kitchen foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining three wraps.
- To assemble, pile two tortilla wraps on each of two serving plates. Divide the refried beans between the plates and spread on the tortilla wraps. Top each with a portion of potatoes, followed by a helping of mushrooms. Top with avocado and ginger-lime sauce.