Sorry for my lack of post on Sunday, I’ve been planning something special (announcement in Friday’s post). Today’s recipe is a quick and easy meal that is simple yet full of flavour. It’s perfect for those days when you want something delicious and fuss free on the table in under 30 minutes. A generous pile of whole wheat spaghetti is a fantastic vegan alternative to egg noodles. I’ve dressed my noodles in a little sesame oil and simple homemade stir fry sauce that can be thrown together in mere minutes!
To top the noodles I’ve added a stir-fry of onion, mushrooms and pak choi, plus cubed five-spice tofu. I used ready-made five-spiced tofu which I bought from my local Asian grocery store which has an amazingly firm texture and doesn’t need to be pressed. If you can’t get hold of five-spice tofu you could use marinated or smoked tofu, or use plain tofu pressed for at least 30 minutes. If using plain tofu I suggest marinating it yourself or adding some seasoning such as salt and pepper and a little Chinese five-spice powder before pan-frying.
This recipe is shared with Simply Natural Saturdays.
The Big Noodle Bowl with Five-Spice Tofu
250g whole wheat spaghetti
1 tbsp sesame oil
Olive oil spray
1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
1” ginger, peeled and grated
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
250g pak choi, white parts sliced and leafy greens left whole
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
200g five-spice tofu, cut into 1cm cubes
Stir-fry sauce: 2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Juice 1 lime
½ tsp coconut nectar or maple syrup
- To make the stir-fry sauce, simply combine all the ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and season with salt. Add the spaghetti and cook according to packet instructions. When the spaghetti is cooked, drain and return to pan. Add sesame oil and 2 tbsp of the stir-fry sauce and use tongs to toss everything together. Cover with a lid to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place a wok over a medium-high heat and spray with olive oil spray. When hot, add the onion and stir-fry until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and the white parts of the pak choi. Stir-fry until the mushrooms have released their liquid and that liquid has been evaporated, 4-5 minutes. Add the stir-fry sauce, ground spices and the leafy pak choi leaves and stir-fry until the leaves have wilted. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and sprat with olive oil. When hot, add the tofu cubes and cook for 4-5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to ensure the tofu browns evenly.
- To serve, divide the spaghetti between two serving bowls. Top with portions of stir fry and tofu.